Waiting for the morning

This is my third pregnancy, yet I am still childless. I have hopes that this baby will make it. After a long season of grief and hurt unimaginable, I am waiting for the morning to come.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

New doubts about receiving frequent sonograms

Ugh. I have as of late discovered some controversial issues regarding the use of frequent sonograms during pregnancy. I had no idea this was even a debate. I've only ever heard that they are completely safe. It turns out that there are some claims that the sonograms can affect and impair the baby's brain development (leading to things like IUGR - intrauterine growth retardation, and later on things like ADHD). While there doesn't seem to be a direct cause-and-effect relation, some studies show there are definitely strong correlations. There is also evidence that the baby "hears" the sonogram (although technically you can't hear the waves, you can hear it bouncing off of other things) and the sound is comparative to an approaching subway train. This explains somewhat why babies often move around alot during sonograms - because it makes them uncomfortable! I have been around approaching subway trains during several trips and I have to say it is quite loud. The particular articles about the sound come from the Mayo clinic, a very reputable source.

However, there are many other reputable sources that state that there is absolutely no risk to performing sonograms, even multiple times, during pregnancy, and even if so, the benefits outweigh the risks. I have definitely heard my doctor say that it is completely safe. This side claims that the studies showing brain development impairments are small and not completely valid studies.

My own conclusion is just that more research is needed! They've only been sonograms on pregnant women during the last 30ish years - not nearly long enough to see long-term effects. And while studies examining people who were sonogrammed in utero have shown no negative residual effects, it has also been pointed out that the intensity of sonogram waves has gone WAY up since many of those first sonograms, and studies, were performed. Implying, more studies are needed on people sonogrammed in utero with more powerful sonogram waves.

Practically, I do not know what to think about all this. It is a pretty polarizing issue. I can say that it has definitely ruined my peace of mind about receiving multiple sonograms! While I don't know if I believe it will really hurt my baby, I don't know that I can feel good about having them so frequently anymore. After what I've been through, I just don't want to take ANY chances with this baby. But being a high-risk pregnancy automatically comes with extra sonograms. That's part of the extra-monitoring that goes on.

*sigh*

So, now what?