Waiting for the morning

This is my third pregnancy, yet I am still childless. I have hopes that this baby will make it. After a long season of grief and hurt unimaginable, I am waiting for the morning to come.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Dr appointment yesterday

Adam and I went in for my 24 week checkup yesterday. Everything looks good, and total weight gain at this point is an average of 18 pounds. I will probably do the glucose test to screen for gestational diabetes in the next 2-3 weeks.

I received my first round of steroid shots yesterday afternoon, and will receive "part 2" this afternoon. This is to help speed up development in the baby on the chance that I do go into preterm labor. It is supposed to help with lung development, prevent or lessen any bleeding in the brain, and shorten any time the baby would need to stay in the NICU.

The big issue we wanted to talk about was possibly inducing me early - as early as 3 weeks early - since Dr B had mentioned it to me last time as a possibility. My impression last time was that he was mentioning it both for our sake (less time to be anxious during the pregnancy) and for health reasons - that perhaps the last month of my pregnancy might be more risky than we thought. However, we pressed him on it and he said that he personally did not feel that I was more at risk in the last month of pregnancy than I am now, and that from a medical standpoint, there really wasn't a reason to induce early. BUT, if we want to, we can (pending good results from an amniocentesis stating baby's lungs are fully developed). I really like that he is going out of his way to find anything and everything that could possibly help get us through the pregnancy. So, it is an option, but because of all the negative things associated with inductions, and possible risk of C-section, etc, I think we have decided, at this point anyway, is to not plan on inducing, unless things change. If I begin to have symptoms of premature labor, or other problems develop, we can always change our plans.

Dr. B also said something that neither Adam nor I had heard before regarding my increased risk of placental abruption (because I've had one before). He said what that means when you read that you are at increased risk, is that you are at increased risk for abruption DURING the gestational time you had it last time - for me, at 20/21 weeks. So, it appears to him that we may be past the danger point for an abruption IF I was going to have one. Abruptions are still most common during the 3rd trimester, but he seemed to indicate that my greatest risk for one was already past. I will try to trust him on that and not worry so much.

Also, we will be backing off of bi-weekly sonos checking my cervix for signs of preterm labor, because that was mainly to check for incompetent cervix, and he said the greatest risk for IC is usually between 16 to 22 weeks. And I am past that. But, we already have another sonogram on the big machine scheduled for 2 weeks, so they will check my cervix then.

Speaking of the "big" sono machine, they got a new one. Now, instead of VHS, you bring in DVDs to get it recorded! Cool.

Ok, enough medical stuff for now - congrats if you made it this far.

PS - Adam and I have considered asking for our own parking spot at the doctor's office, seeing how often we go there...