Waiting for the morning

This is my third pregnancy, yet I am still childless. I have hopes that this baby will make it. After a long season of grief and hurt unimaginable, I am waiting for the morning to come.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

"So, is this your first?"

Well, I had my first stranger ask about my pregnancy the other day - and it was the man at the meat counter at HEB, at that! He was very nice and friendly (started talking about how he has 4 kids, etc), but then came the question: "So, is this your first?"

I hate that question.

I know no one has any idea what that question does to me, so it's no one's fault. No one means to upset me or cause any problems. It's just that when a stranger or acquaintance asks this question, it's usually not an appropriate time or place to say what I really want to say: "No, I have one already, in heaven." I have not let myself say this to people (yet) for their sake, because it would make them feel bad, or awkward. But it still hurts to let them think this is my first pregnancy, first baby, and all the naive, happy and innocent thoughts that go along with that.

But what do you do?