Waiting for the morning

This is my third pregnancy, yet I am still childless. I have hopes that this baby will make it. After a long season of grief and hurt unimaginable, I am waiting for the morning to come.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Update

Just got back from my latest doctor's visit. Good news: the baby is still alive. I decided against doing a sonogram today, but my dr. used the Doppler and was able to listen to the baby's heartbeat. That's the first time we've heard the heartbeat without using a sonogram machine. My dr. said that if you're able to hear the heartbeat with the doppler at 9-10 weeks, the chances of first trimester miscarriage go down dramatically. That was great to hear.

I've gained between 2 and 3 pounds (depending on the day and the scale used) which he said is fine. All my other symptoms are normal.

My doctor is talking to me about doing progesterone shots in the 2nd & 3rd trimesters to try to prevent preterm labor. I am currently using progesterone suppositories to prevent 1st trimester miscarriage, but will stop using them sometime in the next month. 2 years ago some studies came out that showed that using progesterone shots in the remainder of the pregnancy reduces the risk of preterm labor. And, there is no harm in using progesterone (it is natural, not synthetic), so the question is "why not?" I suppose the answer to that, though, is the cost. Since it's new and natural, it is $40 per shot, and I would be getting one per week. My insurance doesn't cover the other progesterone that I'm currently using, so I doubt they'd cover this either. *sigh*

Onward to 10 weeks...